Create!

Create!

Thursday, May 18, 2023

Painting on Vellum

Trying something new again! I really love the botanical watercolor paintings on animal vellum. They have such a soft look. 

This is one of my favorite botanical artists.

Dianne Sutherland  

Check out her website.

The goat skin vellum is expensive to me but I received some as a Mother's Day gift! Yay!

I tested a few things on a small piece. There is definitely a right side and wrong side. The side where the hair pores are is the right side to paint on. The paint lays on the surface so a very dry brush has to be used. It also has to be painted in layers. Here is my first attempt. 


I am happy with it. It is also fairly easy to lift up areas that you want to redo. 🤪 You also can't use too much water or it buckles. 

I have more vellum to play with! I love my kids! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!