Create!

Create!

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Repurposed with Love

As I went through the boxes my son brought home from the end of his four years as a Midshipman at the Naval Academy I came accross his work uniforms.  I asked him if he wanted to keep them and he said no... the uniforms had his name and ID on them so I couldn't give them away.  I looked at the buttons and each button had an anchor on it.  I just couldn't throw them away. (...that is a problem for me...  at least I did something with them!)

I decided to make some jewelry from them for his favorite girl in the whole world!  He wore those buttons through lots of hard work and I knew she would appreciate them. 


I made an elastic chain bracelet and hung lots of buttons on it.  I also added their initials and a few heart and "love" charms.  The "love" charms are appropriate because that is what he calls her..."love"!


I also made some earrings from the buttons and charms.  They are not the same... drives some people crazy but I think it makes life interesting when things don't match!



One has a heart charm...

The other has a "love"charm...( it has "love" stamped on it really... sorry I didn't get that part in the picture)


She loved them and looks lovely wearing them.  We called the bracelet her "hoo-ray" bracelet.  That is a Marine thing.  It makes noise when she moves!

I am a happy momma knowing that someone else loves my boy as much as I do!

Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

  1. Super cute! Ane even an OCDer like me can appreciate the asymmetrical earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marian, the bracelet and earrings are very pretty and a neat idea to repurpose items no longer need in their original purpose. The bracelet and earrings will be charised for a long time by your Son's girl.
    Happy Holidays and all the best for the New Year,
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a way to save something from 4 years of his life, and to make his girl feel special too! You are a very good momma. Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special jewellery set :-) and I absolutely love the non matchy earrings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!